Google

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

My Journey to an Unhealthy Life

So how did I let myself get to this point?

Let's start from the beginning. I hope that by sharing my story, some of you who are in the same position I was several years ago (good health) won't let yourself get to the point I've gotten to today.

Growing up I never had a problem with my weight. I was always skinny, and while my sister struggled with a little extra weight, I had never experienced that (although I wasn't particularly trying to not gain weight). I started playing tennis consistently when I was in the 7th grade, but never really thought about the fact that I was getting a lot of exercise each day. I continued to play all through my junior year of high school, then over the summer I hurt my ankle pretty badly (tearing some ligaments). Although I slowly healed and could have probably played my senior year, complications with the coach only added to my choice to quit. During my senior year of high school, I slowly, but steadily put on about 10 lbs. I never really thought much about it. I had always been so skinny that a few extra pounds didn't seem like that big of a deal. Besides, I was still smaller than my sister so I was fine.

Then college came . . . I had heard all the warnings - Be careful or you'll put on the Freshmen Fifteen! Don't eat all the junk food in your room! Etc, etc, etc. Did I listen? No, I thought I was in control when it came to what I ate. And worse, I really didn't exercise very much. I was falsely fooled into thinking I was doing ok because I lost some weight my first month at college (probably due to walking around campus and all the stress of getting used to college). I really wasn't eating that well, but because I had lost some weight, once again, I just really didn't think about it. By the end of my freshman year, I had put on the Freshman Fifteen. The rest of my college years were pretty much the same. Very little exercise and too much food. Most of the time during college I made so many excuses that I could never make any progress in the right direction. But now I am ready for the change.

Looking back to when I was skinny, I remember how small of portions I used to eat and how little TV I used to watch and how much physical activity I used to complete. As a freshman and sophomore in high school, I would eat the kids meal when I went to restaurants and I would work out at least a couple of hours a day, if not more. No wonder I was skinny!

Going into college I really didn't have any concept of what it meant to eat right and to exercise. I had never eaten right, in the sense of eating healthy. I didn't have any concept of what it meant to exercise. Growing up tennis was a fun activity, not a scheduled exercise time. I didn't realize that I needed to set aside time to do exercise.

With all that said, I now know better. I can no longer use my ignorance as an excuse. I now must use my knowledge to equip myself with the tools that I need to get on the right track. I know it will not be an easy process and that it will take many many many steps in the right direction to reach my goal, but I am committed this time. I am focused and willing to do whatever it takes.

Lisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home